Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Montana is big.

That is what I learned today... Montana is big. We were in the car for just about 9 hours today (9am-6pm) and most of that was spent in Montana. I read a book, I took a couple naps, we stopped for lunch, we stopped at a Safeway to just get out of the car for a few minutes (and get coffee), and yet, we were still in Montana. Only the last hour and a half or so of the drive was in Idaho, which is where we're spending the night tonight.

So, yeah, Montana is big.

At least most of the drive was pretty - rolling hills, some mountainous kind of terrain, streams, and lots of livestock, farms and ranches. But stretches looked like this
and that was boring (I think that's in Idaho, for the record).

But then we got to Idaho Falls... we weren't sure what to expect and we were very pleasantly surprised! We went to a Brew Pub for dinner and split a sampler of 6 of their beers, and then we took a really nice walk tonight along the Snake River. Who knew Idaho Falls was so nice! This marks two unexpected gems in the two cross-country moves... here and Missoula, MT (we also liked Kalispell last night, but it wasn't as great as Missoula to us).

I grabbed my camera for a our walk and snapped a couple shots of the Falls, some with the Mormon Temple in the background. Seeing the Temple made me think of my friends Lisa and Amy! (Hi guys!!)

The other thing we learned today is that it's summer in the non-Alaska world. YIKES. It was 84 degrees out at 8-ish tonight when we were coming back from dinner. This Alaska girl was NOT ready for that. Should be interesting to see how we do as we head further south over the next couple days.

So that's pretty boring stuff for today. But with 9 hours in the car, there's not much to talk about. Oh, another thing I learned is that I no longer get car sick when I try to read in a moving vehicle. I finished a book over the past two days ("A Thousand Splendid Suns"), the first one I've read beginning to end since the baby was born. That was pretty exciting (and the book was fantastic!)! Gotta remember to pull out another one for tomorrow.... 370 miles for us to Richfield, UT. TripTik is telling us 5hrs, 22 mins... we'll see!

Expect nothing tomorrow - driving all day and a stop in the middle of no where tomorrow night!

2 comments:

Lisa F said...

Awww. I miss you too! I love that temple - Idaho Falls is great! Beautiful place. Hamer is in Idaho (the first picture).

Hope Utah wasn't too bad today!

Amy said...

Hi! The pictures of Idaho Falls made me laugh! One of my best friends lives there. It is gorgeous! The temple there looks a lot like the Vegas temple where we got married. So much so that our wedding invitations ended up with the Idaho Falls Temple engraved on them by accident! Nice.

Glad you are having a great time.

P.S. I'm jealous.