Thursday, July 2, 2009

Moving up the ranks!

Waaaaay back sometime last September, a promotion board met to decide whether or not Jason and I (and a lot of other people) were good enough to be selected for Lieutenant Commander. We found out the results of that board way back then, and were very excited to know that we hadn't messed up and would be promoted at some point in time.

Because there's actually legislation in place that determines how many of each kind/rank of officer each service is allowed to have, we had to wait around for other LCDRs to be promoted to CDR, or get out, to clear the way for us. As of the promotion message a few months ago, it looked like we'd be waiting until August or maybe even September to finally put those new shoulder boards on. Then, amazingly, last month's message predicted that 01July would be the day. We still had our doubts, but, FINALLY, the day before we were hoping to promote, the message came out and we got the word that we would officially become Lieutenant Commanders on July 1st... only 6+ looong years after becoming Lieutenants (which is normal... you stay an LT forEVER).

This is a big promotion because, although we're still considered "Junior Officers," there's a different view of a Lieutenant Commander than a Lieutenant. How could there not be when you shorten "Lieutenant Commander" down to "Commander" when you address one!? (That just sounds WEIRD.) Making LCDR also means tenure in the CG. Not that either one of us is worried about not continuing to be promotable, but once you make LCDR, you're guaranteed a 20-year career and the pension that goes along with that. It's nice to know you have that stability. They're stuck with us as long as we want to stick it out til 20!!

I don't know how Jason was feeling about things when he woke up yesterday morning, but I got butterflies in my stomach realizing what a big step up this was, even though I'd been used to the idea of having been selected for nearly a year. To mark the occasion, the Air Station had a promotion ceremony, which I had asked to be included in since my bosses are all over in Juneau. I would have gone to the Air Station anyway, to take part in Jason's promotion from the spouse side of my life, but it was nice to be able to stand next to him and share in this together.

Without further ado... the pictures:

As the new XO at the Air Sta read the Commission certificate (where it says we serve at the pleasure of the President... I love that!), Admiral Brooks, the District Commander and former Commandant of Cadets from our Academy days, leaned over to me and asked which of us was senior to the other. My very quick answer was, "Me," so he said we'd take care of my new shoulder boards first. So here are Admiral Brooks and Jason pinning my shiny new shoulder boards on me! Note Jason still sporting those LT ones!

Then it was Jason's turn. His CO and I did the honors, complete with jokes about seniority. Captain Berghorn didn't hear my conversation with the Admiral so he asked again about which of us was senior. Jason told him that was me, and the Captain made a comment about it being that way in his house, too. Without thinking, I piped up "But in our house, it's really official!" which got a good laugh around the room. Sorry about that Jason!!!

The thing is, I really AM senior to him. At one point in time there were about 5 people between us in the Register of Officers. It has since dwindled to only one person between us, but that still leaves me senior. Sadly for him, even when I get out (which will likely be before him), I'll maintain that seniority on the home front. He'll never win!

Finally, this is a shot for the scrapbook I'm theoretically going to put together of my pregnancy. I haven't worn a uniform in a few weeks now because my belly got a little too big to make it possible to breathe while wearing it. But, for the occasion yesterday, I busted it out, which was good because I wanted to have at least one picture of me in my fabulous maternity tent! It was a bit more tent-like the last time I had it on.... yesterday I think I heard the buttons screaming when I put it on.... so attractive!

That's going to have to suffice as the "Horizontal Mountain Watch" for now as well. We haven't had the chance to take a picture because I keep thinking about it way too late in the day. We'll try to get one done sooner than later so I can share the almost 39-week glory! I can't believe I'm this close to the end, and I just hope that Green cooperates and doesn't decide she likes it so much inside that she waits around too long! It's getting harder to haul all this belly around!!

So that's the big news from here this week! Hopefully, sooner than later, I'll have BIGGER news!!!

9 comments:

Zoya, Patrick, Nora and Stuart said...

Great Photos and narrative, Becca & Jason!
Thanks for sharing. :)
Congratulations to both of you!
Best WIshes, Zoya

Mary said...

Congrats to both of you! Keith and I loved the pictures and commentary!

Mom(Mary) said...

Congratulations both of you. We're so proud of you! Love you both and little Green.

Lisa F said...

Congratulations to both of you! That is awesome! Becca - you look SO cute! Can't wait to see you guys in August!

Amy said...

Congratulations to you both! What a great day that must have been. And you did look adorable in your "tent" ;)

Amy said...

Oh! My husband told me he works with your husband! When your life gets settled down after your little girl comes, we'll have to get together. I'd love to meet you.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to you both! Sorry we weren't there to see you but the pictures helped us to be close!
Love,
Mom(Maryanne) & Jim

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to both of you... and all three of you look great...can't wait to hear the next BIG news....

Love Ya...

Mr & Mrs. A.......

Dad/Jeff said...

Congratulations to both of you. you look great Becca. Can't wait to see you guys (especially Green). The webcam and Skype are set up and ready to go.