Wednesday, June 17, 2009

It's safe to have a baby!!!

That's right! It's officially "safe" for Green to make her appearance! I am 36 weeks and 1 day pregnant and couldn't be more ready - at least as far as the physical discomfort goes. I've been feeling more and more pregnant every day for the last 3-ish weeks, and I'm definitely getting to the point where I'm done. I'm sure Green has other ideas, though, so I'll try to stay as patient as I can and enjoy the last few weeks of life as we used to know it! It hit home as soon she could be here last Friday when I bought milk that expires after my due date. I almost laughed out loud in the middle of the commissary - shopping by myself! I just can't believe I'm that close!

In other baby news, this was a week of baby showers for me. Christina threw me a small but wonderful shower on Saturday. She chose a "Gone Fishin'" theme, and it was at a gorgeous room at the Fisheries Research Center in town. This room overlooks a sea plane landing area and a channel between a couple of the small islands right off Kodiak proper. It was gorgeous out on Saturday - a perfect day to enjoy that view, wonderful food, and the company of some of my very best friends here in Kodiak. And what's not to like about the decor:

I have no pictures from my other shower this week because it was a surprise to me! I thought I was going to an Altar Guild meeting at church on Monday night, but instead walked into a baby shower! The ladies in Altar Guild, as well as a couple other ladies from church just made me feel so blessed and loved! Green will be keeping warm in gorgeous hand-made blankets, and a pair of hand-made sheep/deerskin mukluks. She also got her first set of Russian stacking dolls - a little piece of Kodiak to take with her everywhere we go (Kodiak's first non-native settlers were Russian traders)! Probably most importantly, though, we got our first package of diapers and wipes! YAY!!

Since I'm talking baby, I might as well go ahead and just get the rest of it over with... that's right...

BUMP WATCH 2009


These were taken on Saturday, right before I left for the shower. Yes, I wore a sleeveless dress in Kodiak, and no, I didn't freeze! Maryanne might recognize this dress from our cruise back in February - it definitely fits differently now!!!! So I was 35 weeks and 4 days - and growing by the minute!! Green has dropped, though, so I can now breathe again, along with enjoying more than 4 bites of food before I feel food. It's a nice relief, but it also means walking is tough! Oh, and Braxton-Hicks contractions suck. That's all I'll say about that.

Getting back to normal life, although walking is tough, we took advantage of some gorgeous weather over the past week to get some walks in and I've been taking my camera with me again. So I'll just share a couple more pictures - "as seen in Kodiak" style.
First up, an eagle that was carefully watching the ducks swimming in the pond behind Brad and Christina's house. This was a nice chance to try out my 150-500mm telephoto zoom lens. I'm not disappointed!


Next is a chocolate lily that was actually open and pointing up toward the sun out at Spruce Cape. These guys usually hang their blossoms down like bells and they're hard to get a picture of. I was excited to see this! I LOVE chocolate lillies!


Here's the view looking out toward the ocean from Lake Gertrude at Ft. Abercrombie the other afternoon. It's hard to see, but way on the horizon is a fog bank.... but it was perfectly sunny where we were. Kodiak has some strange weather!

Finally, here's the view into Lake Gertrude.... it's our other "baby!" Fred had his first REAL swim of the season and he couldn't have been happier!

That's the latest from here. The count down is now officially on until Green's arrival. I'm good with a couple more weeks since we have a few more things to get done around the house (yard sale, anyone??), so we'll see what she thinks of that.
Becca

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You and Green are still looking wonderful...Keep up with the great picture taking... Talk to you soon...

Love Ya, Mr & Mrs. A.......