Monday, February 25, 2008

A feast for the eyes!

I'm running about a week and a half behind, but I got some great shots out at Spruce Cape two Fridays ago, and I've been meaning to share them. Other than the wind, and a week-long rainy interval, not much has changed weather-wise since then anyway. So, we can just pretend this was today.

Spruce Cape is one of our favorite walks. You head out on the trail through the woods, equipped with YakTrax (http://www.yaktrax.com/) - unless you're Jason today, and you prefer sliding along on the ice instead - and hike out to a point of land that juts out and generally has more wind than anywhere else on the island. Ok, maybe not that much wind, but it's usually breezy - and cold. From there, you get a view of Ft. Abercrombie and, on a clear day, a couple of the smaller islands around Kodiak. You also get to see one of my favorite views, which are these two giant rocks that stick out of the water, looking a little like a gate to Kodiak. I always wonder how they ended up there. Anyway, I almost always bring my camera out to Spruce, because I'm determined to get the best "wave crashing against a rock, throwing spray everywhere" picture that I can get. So far, I haven't had that much luck, but I have fun trying. On this particular Friday, though, it wasn't that much fun to try. It was cold. Really, really cold. And windy. But, it was still pretty! So here ya go... your feast!
Anyone want some snow? I think I know where you can find some.....

This second pic just looks cold, doesn't it? Those are the two rocks that make the gate I was talking about. I just love this spot and this view!


And this guy just happened by while I already had the camera ready. He really cooperated by flying right over my head, not too far away. This shot is with my regular lens, probably zoomed to about 70mm or so. He was joined by a friend shortly after I snapped this shot, but because of the light behind them when I shot over my head, they just looked like two big birds in the picture. Oh well, I think this one suffices!


Someone, I think, decided he didn't need the liner in his coat. I was NOT this cold. I dress for the weather - heavy coats, mittens, YakTrax... I even had a hat in my pocket that day. I didn't wear it, though - didn't want to mess up my hair!


And, finally, since we were out and about, we ran down to the two auto supply stores downtown to look for sparkplugs for the truck. While Jason was inside, I ran across the street to get a harbor shot. I wanted to get a shot of an eagle on a fishing boat, but they weren't cooperating, so I had to just settle for the fishing boat(s).


Hope you enjoyed the view. It should be illegal to live in a place so gorgeous!! The view of the mountains and harbor as we came over the hill into town on the way to church yesterday literally made me catch my breath. It's just so pretty, even in the middle of the winter, following a week of rain. What's not to like about that!

1 comment:

C Anderson said...

Wow, what amazing pictures! Thanks for sharing your life and love in Kodiak.