Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Stuck in Anchorage... why not blog!?

So, in my official indoctrination to Kodiak travel, I have been stranded overnight in Anchorage, something I think I need to get used to! I was in Juneau the last couple of days, visiting our District office, and ran into typical Kodiak weather conditions on the way out of here. I'm almost certain I got the last hotel room in Anchorage, too. Summer in Alaska is a busy time!

We've been a bit derelict in our updates. Our apologies to everyone. Since I am stuck in Anchorage, no pictures for you this time around, but at least there's stuff to share.

We finally got our household goods last Tuesday, on the day they were "guarenteed" to be there by. You should've seen the two of us literally dancing around the house after the moving company called!!! After many promises of "it'll be on the next barge/ship," it was nice to actually have it show up!! The moving company called us right as we were headed out the door for work, feeling dejected that we were going to have yet another few days of waiting til the next ship came... imagine our surprise!

In about 6 hours, all 15,000 pounds and 12+ crates of stuff were offloaded and kinda in the right rooms. Technically, we could've had the movers stick around to help us upack boxes, but since I didn't know where I wanted stuff, I did the kitchen while they were still working, and then sent them on their way. One guy stayed behind to help Jason put stuff together, and then, in an absolute surprise move, the company offered to leave the truck at our house so we could continue to unpack and just put the empty boxes in there. They ended up leaving the truck for 2 days, giving us the opportunity to get rid of almost all the boxes! YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So, we're now slowly working our way through the rest of the stuff, and we'll start to think about hanging pictures and all that sooner or later. We still have 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms and a hallway to paint, so pictures might have to wait awhile. Jason is determined to get the rest of the fence up (the neighbors behind us put theirs up finally, so we "just" have one side to go!), so I might have to wait for my paint. I'll live, though... I want Fred in the backyard!

I think that's it for now. I'm using the business center at the hotel and the keyboard is annoying me, let alone everyone else in here. Plus, I have a 6am flight tomorrow morning (fingers crossed!), so I should get some sleep!

We'll take "after" pictures of the house as soon as it's worth looking at so we can share those with everyone. Miss and love you all!!!
Becca

No comments: