Sunday, June 10, 2007

Camping, 21st Century Style!

That's right, folks... I'm posting on a blog while on a wireless laptop computer, sitting around a campfire... after eating s'mores. It doesn't get any better than this!! If I had known camping could be like this, I might've tried it sooner! Here's our set up, and, yes, that's a tent for just two people. We like to go big!

We are here at the fabulous Flintstones Bedrock City Campground and Theme Park (minus the Theme Park - I don't think we'll have time for that!) in Custer, South Dakota. Custer seems to have a population of about 100 (I might be exaggerating), but the campsite has wi-fi! We spent today doing a couple of the famous South Dakota things to do - a visit to Wall Drug and a driving tour of the Badlands. My impression of Wall Drug is that it's probably the biggest tourist trap ever invented. My impression of the Badlands is that it's something everyone should see at least once in their lifetime. Jason agrees on both counts.

Tonight, I think, needs to be all about the pictures. First up is Wall Drug. Dad, it's so much more than "just a drug store with a lot of billboards." It started out as a drug store back in 1931, and then, built on the offer of free ice water, has grown into a tourist's dream! The place is 76,000 square feet, has a bunch of different shops, including the "apothecary" which is the only drug store kind of part of it, a cafe with homemade donuts and coffee for 5 cents (it's an honor system if you get a refill - Jason and I had 2 cups of coffee and a donut each for $2.13), and the "backyard" with the free ice water and a bunch of cheesey picture opportunities. Here's two examples:


Yes, that's Jason on the Jackalope in the "Backyard." The funny thing was that, as we were finishing with our pictures, another grown woman came up to take her turn, too. As she said, even if it's supposed to be for the kids, it's just so hard to resist!






For good measure, I won't leave myself out!

I even let Jason use my good camera to take this one... I think it would've been cool if we'd gotten the same angle, but I'm just glad I'm small enough in this one so no one can see that traveling and Weight Watchers do not go together!!!!







The last one from Wall is just an exterior shot of the front of the building - just read the sign, Dad... tons more than "just a drug store!" They even have a traveler's chapel!



From Wall, we headed back to the East about 30 miles to take SD-240, the scenic byway through the Badlands. They have a ton of overlooks and pull-offs so that you can take in the breathtaking scenery and views. Apparently I spent more time outside the truck than in it, judging by the sunburn on my arms and the back of my neck. It never occurred to me that I'd get burned!!!! So here are just a sample of the pictures from the Badlands... and, really, everyone should see them in person. Amazing.

Self-timer portrait with tripod! YAY!

From a neat section with layers of red and yellow rock.


Some of the local wildlife - gotta love the 300mm zoom lens!


A panoramic view from the end of our drive - the western end of the byway.

And, finally, my favorite picture of the day. I'm kind of proud of this one!

So that's it from Custer. Tomorrow we'll go to Mt. Rushmore first thing in the morning, and then maybe hit the Wind Caves if we have time. Then we have about 180 miles to Gering and a nice two-ish day stop there!
Hope everyone enjoys the pictures!
Love you all,
Becca (and Jason)







3 comments:

Zach and Beth said...

Looks like you guys are having a great time! I need a campground like that too. The place we camped along the way was next to a meth lab...fun stuff. As Zach says about the tent though...go big or go home. Oh, and that last pic is FAB! You'll have to hang it in your house!

Donna said...

You Guys are haveing a trip of Life Time. I hope you save all that has been posted to share with your family years later. Have Fun and stay safe. Love Donna L.

Anonymous said...

I love your pictures1 They get better as you travel along! The little prairie dog is awsome! I can't wait to see the buffalo! Be safe on your travels and keep on journaling. It's my evening entertainment.
Love you guys!
Mom/Maryanne