Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Half my house is gone!

The movers came today for Day 1. WOW. I couldn't be more impressed with these guys, which was a load off my mind! After hearing horror stories of government moves over the past 8 years, I started to wonder and worry what we were up against. We've always just moved ourselves so we wouldn't have to worry about the stress of what the movers did to our stuff. With giong to Kodiak, though, we really had no choice but to go this route this time. I am so pleasantly surprised with the movers - including the almost-88-year-old WWII veteran who stormed the beaches of Normandy, but is now an expert packer because he likes to keep busy!

I feel eerily calm about this whole thing, which could either be a function of being so far past the stress that I can't react to it anymore, or, maybe, just maybe, I'm actually ok with it all. Either way, Jason is predicting that I will blow at some point in the near future. It just doesn't seem natural for ME, of all people, to just be taking this in stride. I mean, instead of hovering over the packing, and seeing where and how everything is happening, I went outside to take pictures of my blossoming rhododendrons today... this is just not like me. But, I got great pics!



So they'll be back tomorrow for Day 2, and hopefully final. All they have left is to pack the kitchen stuff, pack the master bedroom, pack the basement, and then load all that and the spare bedroom that they packed today. They filled 4 overseas crates already today, and estimated somewhere between 6-10 more tomorrow. I don't think we'll have 14 total - but we'll see!!! I can't believe it's almost time to leave!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm impressed and oh so sad and excited. Love you both Mom

Zach and Beth said...

I think your calm is a mix of both peace about it all and just so stressed you can't feel anymore. How many crates did you end up with? We had 12 last year. Amazing what two people can pack up and still have room for partial DITY.