Tuesday, April 1, 2008

What I've seen in Kodiak for the past few weeks...

Once again, I've been a little derelict in updating the blog. I really do mean to update it once a week, but sometimes there's just not much going on. So, since my trusty camera goes with me everywhere, I can at least show off what I've been seeing through the lens for the past couple weeks. This will obviously be a very picture heavy post. Hope you enjoy the view(s)!

Starting off with March 14th (I'm trying to think if this date is right... it seems too early, but I'll go with it!), on a walk out at Spruce Cape... we'd had a pretty good storm, and it resulted in a new crop of driftwood.



Now this one is from the day before Easter. We ended up getting a couple inches of snow, making it look a little more like Christmas than Easter! But then, Easter morning, the sky broke and the sun came out, and it was beautiful! This was the day before!



The next two are from yet another walk out at Spruce Cape. This was on the 25th, with snow still on the ground. Even with the snow, though, the first picture is a promising sign of spring! It's coming! The second pic needs no explanation!



And, finally, I grabbed my camera on the way out the door the other morning (the 27th), on the second day in a row of clear skies in the morning. I rushed out to the scenic overlook on the way out to the base, hoping that the sun wouldn't be up quite enough yet to make the moon fade. I had seen it the day before, but didn't have my camera, so I just hoped, all the way there, that I'd get the chance to get the shot I wanted. I wasn't disappointed! I think this picture captures part of why I find Kodiak so beautiful. I just can't imagine being able to see this outside Alaska!
This picture was taken at about 7:50am. It looks dark, but that was me messing with the settings to try to capture the moon better. And, it's a little off-kilter, but that's a function of fighting with the wind! It was about 27 degrees out that morning, and I was trying to take the pictures as fast as I could! Because I know Dad will ask - sunrise is just before 8am these days, and it's staying light out until about 9pm. We're trying to adjust to the late light in the evening - it's easy to lose track of time - and we're looking forward to the earlier sunrises. It makes it tough to get up when it's still more dark than light!


So those are the views of Kodiak over the past couple weeks! I took a ton of pictures at Gabriel's 1st birthday party on Sunday, so that was also a part of our view lately, but I'll let Beth share those on her blog! (First I have to get her copies!) I also took some pictures of two of my other favorite neighborhood kids, but, again, I'll let Mary share those on her blog (again, when I get them to her)! And, I'll be nice, Beth, and leave that fabulous picture of you off the net all together!

That's all from here! Until next time....

7 comments:

Zach and Beth said...

Ok, so I was reading, with bated breath, afraid you were going to show THAT picture! I knew you were my friend for a reason...you LOVE me! lol

Ishmael said...

Those are some very nice photos! Keep it up!

Cheers,

Ish
Kodiak

Mary said...

Wow, that moon picture is fantastic.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
The Little Wife said...

That is an incredible photo of the moon.

Anonymous said...

YOur pictures get better and better. It's like opening up a page in National Geographic! Keep them going!!!

Flo said...

I completely love all your photos! The snow beard is adorable on your dog, and WOW I can't believe how beautiful that moon photo is. Such a gorgeous spring you're going to have :)