Wednesday, April 16, 2008

By request... what KMXT passed on.

Well, Ishmael, this is for you...

Since I had a request to see what pictures I had given to the radio station to try to get into the 2009 calendar, I figured I might as well publish them somewhere - even if it is just my own blog. And, since I haven't updated in a while, this is what you get.

For family and friends that check this to see what's going on around here - lots of hiking these days! Up until yesterday, we'd had 9 days in a row of sunshine, so we were taking full advantage of it! Yesterday it rained, got sunny, rained again, and then eventually snowed. Yes, snowed. Not much, but enough to turn the lawn white. It's back to brown again today, though, so all is well. We also had wicked winds today - 50-60 mph gusts, I think. We were joking that in some parts of the world, they call that a hurricane. Here, we just go clean up the yard of the mess when it's all done!

Anyway, here are the 6 pictures I submitted to KMXT. I think they're good, but I guess I'll just have to survive with a smaller audience!
This is a view of the town of Kodiak from on top of Pillar Mountain on a gorgeous summer day last year. I can't remember if I zoomed or cropped or anything on this one, but I think I did. This is the original image, though.


This one is the front of the Kodiak Winery out in Chiniak. Sadly, we recently read in the paper that the winery won't be opening this year. We're pretty bummed about it, because it was always a good excuse to head out to the end of the road!


This is one of my favorite pictures - I was determined last summer to get flowers with snow in the background. So, here we have some Lupine and Wild Geranium, and the view back towards town from somewhere on the road on the way back from Chiniak.


A view of one of the local boat harbors. Because I'm still bad at Kodiak geography, I don't know the name, but it's on Near Island.


This guy is one of the local residents of Pasagshak. Yes, there is a herd of buffalo on Kodiak. Who knew!


And, finally, these guys have already been on the blog before, but they're worth another look. More local residents, hanging out and scoping out the harbor on a January day.

So, those were my contributions. I think they capture a good look at Kodiak. And, they're some of my favorite shots over the past 10 months (has it been that long!?) of living here.

Hope you enjoy!
Becca

3 comments:

Ishmael said...

Very nice!

Thank you for sharing!

The Little Wife said...

Incredible photos!

Mary said...

Fantastic! I love the flowers with the snow in the background.