Monday, March 17, 2008

When will I learn?

When will I learn that I live in Kodiak and that dressing like I live on the South Shore of Boston is just silly? The good thing is, at least I'm laughing at myself about it, so I figured I'd share it with everyone else, too. Why not, right?

So, yesterday was sort of a major church holiday, Palm Sunday, and a day that I usually will get a little more dressed up than your average Sunday. Of course, come to think of it, that generally didn't turn out in my favor in Massachusetts, either, since we always started the service outside and I was always freezing... but I digress....
Saturday night, in an effort to get a jump on my Sunday morning, I tried on a bunch of different outfits to decide what to wear. I picked a Plan A, and followed it up with a Plan B. I then laid Plan A out, another timesaving mechanism, and headed to bed. Here's Plan A:

I didn't mean to make the shot look that artistic, but I wanted to make sure you could get the full effect of the heels. Yes, those are roughly 3 and a half inches with a platform. And that would be cute gray pants, a cute cotton/cashmere blend sweater, and fishnet knee-highs. Plan B wasn't nearly as fancy (pinstripe khakis), but still included heels. Anywhere else, either one of these outfits would have been suitable. I might not have wanted to wear the gray heels for Palm Sunday at our old church because of being outside in the grass, but, otherwise, perfect.

Well, I don't live in Massachusetts anymore. Xtra Tuffs are a way of life around here. It's not just because people are lazy and don't want to wear shoes that you tie, or that they're somehow adverse to looking nice. No, it's because they're practical. And 3 1/2 inch gray (suede) heels are not practical. They might not be practical anywhere, but they definitely aren't practical here. This is why:
By the time I took this picture, a lot of the snow had already melted, so it's not a totally acurate view, but you get the idea. I woke up Sunday morning, and took a quick look out the window to determine if I should go with Plan A or Plan B. Instead, I ended up having to go with Plan C, since the driveway was still covered and there was a wet, sloppy, slushy two inch or two of fresh white stuff. Plan C, by the way, was regular khakis (I couldn't wear JEANS on Palm Sunday!), a cashmere hoodie (cashmere means it's fancy!), a plain white t-shirt, and.... hiking boots. Yes, hiking boots. Nice, brown leather Columbia hiking boots, but hiking boots, nonetheless.

Sigh.
Meanwhile, I got a neat picture of Fred's footprints in the snow, so it wasn't a complete wash.
If only we could've gotten such good prints when we spent all that money on the ones in clay. Figures.

So that's my funny "getting used to living in Kodiak... STILL" story. Of course, by the time we leave here, I'll have the same problem getting used to the rest of the world!

With that, I'll leave you with one more shot. This one shows just one of the reasons I like it here. This is the view from my office window. Not bad, huh?


That's all the news from here. Jason FINALLY gets home this week, so my life will get a little less boring, I suppose! Hope everyone got a good chuckle!
Becca

6 comments:

Mary said...

I'll have you know that Megan went for the fancy shoes. Which basically ment I work my Doc Martins (yeah, from college, eek) and a pair of khakis because I knew I'd be carrying her back and forth from the minivan to the church/house.

Becca and Jason said...

At least she had the option to be carried - you can go with fancy shoes if you can be carried!
I think I would've looked silly if I asked someone to carry me....

Flo said...

lol I had such a good giggle over the "cashmere makes it FANCY!" comment because I definitely have the same mentality. I go to work every day in jeans, I totally love my office's relaxed dress code.

Also, I adore your blue shoes and the way you photographed them. What a pity that you aren't able to dress the way you did in MA. :( Here's to hoping you'll get to wear the Plan A outfit for Easter if the darn snow melts at lightning speed ;)

The Little Wife said...

Love the pics of Fred's paw prints. Very cool!

Anonymous said...

I so enjoyed your story!!! Remind me to call you before we come this summer to help me with my wardrobe, I don't want to stand out as a tourist- ha ha!!! I can't wait to hear about the spring outfits. Have a great weekend!!!
Love,
Maryanne/Mom

The Culvers of Clearwater said...

Sweeeeeeeeet. My mom just gave me some of her cashmere. We can be "fancy" together! Do I REALLY have to get xtra tuffs!?! LOL