Thursday, January 8, 2009

Who am I, and what have I done with the real Becca?

Anyone who knows me, knows that snow has never been one of my favorite things in the world. I was always the first kid to head back inside the house during a day of sledding because of the snow under my cuffs and down my collar, or numb feet, or whatever (and also the hot chocolate we'd get when we came in!!). Snow's always been great for a snow day, or to have a pretty white Christmas, but, beyond that, it's never been my favorite thing. Well, actually, I pretty much don't like it at all.

That was, until the last couple weeks. As I watched the reports of all the snow on the east coast, I couldn't help but be a little envious of their White Christmas, and, well, winter. When all the major snow hit the east coast before Christmas, we were having temperatures in the mid- to upper-30s, and rain. A lot of rain. Rain just makes it messy around here, and it made it feel not like winter, and not like Christmas. Then, on Christmas day, it turned sunny, and over the past couple of weeks, it's been sunny every day! YAY! Except that the temperature slowly crept down into the single digits, the wind kicked up every so often (serious wind - like 40-50mph winds), and it just became miserable to be outside. So, it was sunny, and it was cold, but then the ground stayed brownish (and gray, can't forget the Kodiak gray), and I was still jealous of the east coast snow.

And then we get to today. *sigh*

As I was listening to NPR on my way into work this morning, with a few flakes falling along the way, I heard the forecast - 2 to 4 inches of snow by the afternoon (my first thought: shoot, I only wore my hiking shoes, not my boots!), with more possible overnight! And then, when the sun finally came up this morning (at 9:50am, by the way), the sky was overcast, and more than a few flakes were coming down. As the day went on, the snow started falling faster, and, by 1:30, while I was sitting in the dentist chair, they were closing the base for a blizzard warning! Woo-hooo!!! SNOW!! (For the record, I still left work at the same time as normal, so it wasn't like an actual snow day or anything...)

Of course, said blizzard has not really materialized, but, still, I'm actually happy to see the snow! This is a strange thing for me. I don't remember, other than a cancelled school day, EVER being happy about snow. And yet, I put on my new bomber hat (I'll have to share a picture another time), my extra warm coat, my longjohns and ski pants, and headed out on a walk in the snow with Jason and Fred. And I was happy.

Huh. Who knew? Apparently, I don't hate snow afterall!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Next you start liking bugs right?
Love, Mom

Zach and Beth said...

I am SO happy the snow finally decided to make an appearance. I told Zach the other day that I really only like this place when it's green or white. T

Lisa F said...

I actually never thought I would miss snow until now! Can't wait till we move to a place with more than one season again!

Melissa said...

We'll turn you into an Alaskan yet! And don't forget that little green baby of yours will always and forever be an Kodiak Island baby! Now thats something! Plus he/she will be able to handle any sort of temps or unpredictable weather.