Friday, July 25, 2008

Our latest houseguests!

Ok, so maybe they were a little more than houseguests... ;)

Maryanne and Jim (aka Mom and Jim) made their way up here to Kodiak almost two weeks ago now, and enjoyed the Kodiak fun for about a week. They came in on the early jet on a Saturday morning, and left on the early jet the following Sunday. By the way, for those planning their big trips to the bustling metropolis of Kodiak, we say the "early jet" because there are only two jets per day - one in the morning, and one in the afternoon. We have other flights during the day, too, but those are little turboprop planes - the jets are actual 737's. Oh, and also, if you're meeting with your travel agent, and they ask you which one you want to take - you want the afternoon one. Want to know why? Because it's rude to make your hosts get up that early to pick you up at 7am. ;) (Just kidding! Mostly...)


We had a fantastic visit, with a flurry of outdoor activities to keep us busy. Luckily, the weather cooperated for almost the whole week - I just hope that doesn't mean we've used up all the good weather for the summer! So far, we haven't had much of a summer, and I'm just hoping it doesn't rain the whole time Mom, Dad and Heather are here!


I'm going to keep the commentary to a minimum, and just get to the pictures. Sadly, Jason took the small camera with him to Cordova, so I don't have any of our halibut fishing pictures. I'll just say that I am now just as "hooked" (HA! Get it?) on halibut fishing as I am on salmon fishing. We had a blast!! And, no, I did not toss my cookies while we were out on the boat. Just know that I'm very proud of that.


Moving on.....


Day one, once everyone got all cleaned up from the 24 hours of traveling, we headed over to the base to show the place off, and partake in the brats the Chief's Association were cookin' up. First stop, of course, was Jason's side of the base - let's face it, helo's are way more exciting than an office! Here are the boys posing for a quick shot next to one of the helo's!

We took other pics, but that's enough for now. Later that day, we headed out to Ft. Abercrombie for a quick walk with Fred, and a tour of the Military History Museum. Lucky for me, I was carrying my gorillapod, so I was able to get a shot of all four of us! It's not even that bad!


As the week went on, we picked a favorite place to hike every day. On this day, we went over to Near Island (connected to Kodiak by a bridge), and enjoyed a stroll on the beach. Jason enjoyed taking us on about a two mile detour because he thought he knew a different way back. Yeah, thanks Jason.

Before the detour, though, Jim and Maryanne enjoyed climbing up a pretty substantial breakwall and getting a view of the harbor on the other side. By the way, guys, you could see the same things from the top of the hill....


Not satisfied with what the Commissary and Safeway had to offer, Jim decided to check out the offerings for the bears while we were at the National Wildlife Refuge Visitor's Center. Hey, Jim, they say the bears can eat the pushki - wanna try it??


Thursday (was it Thursday???) found us "out the road" in Pasagshak. We promised Maryanne some buffalo, and thankfully, we didn't disappoint. It was touch and go for a while there when we didn't see them on the way out, but after our picnic lunch, we hiked up the cliff and found these guys. I was determined to get a good picture of them, and hiked half way across this open field to get closer. I quickly turned around when the big guy in the front actually noticed me. YIKES! (Photo courtesy of Jim!)


While we were still down on the beach, finishing up lunch, Jason took Maryanne over to the cliffs to look for fossils - the reason it's called Fossil Beach. I think Jason was a smidge disappointed to learn that Maryanne couldn't have cared less about the fossils - she's a "live animal" kind of girl! We didn't disappoint while in Pasagshak - when we hiked up the cliffs, we had a view of buffalo to the left, and whales playing in the inlet to the right! Where else can you find that?!?!?

On the last day of their trip, we were once again treated to some gorgeous weather! Following an hour or so of crafting at my friend Jana's house (by me and Maryanne), we headed out to Old Woman for a nice, long hike. Long hike = Fred carrying his own stuff.... yeah, he looks like he likes that, huh?

Referencing my comment about summer apparently skipping Kodiak this summer, I bring you exhibit A. Yes, that's snow. Ok, to be fair, it's at the top of a mountain. However, there was a lot more snow up there than about this time last year. How do I know that? Because the last time I was on Old Woman was about this time last year...
Incidentally, Maryanne, as I tried to look up Old Woman for another handy-dandy link, I found someone else's blog about hiking it. That guy said that it's called Old Woman because the old women used to hike up it to die. So we were off a little... And I don't know if he's right. It still might be because you feel like an Old Woman when you're done. Not sure.

Here's a view from the top... wait! How'd those people get in there? Oh, yeah, I actually tried to take some pictures of people this time around! So, here's everyone but me right before I decided to try to beat them all to the top of the next ridge. I don't think I was capable of taking pictures after that. I'm out of shape... that's what I learned that day.

And, finally, so people don't think I never step out from behind the camera - a little shot of the FlyingFish. Oh, and if you look closely, you'll see the tell-tale facial hair that indicates Jason had been on leave for a week! (Picture courtesy of Maryanne, I think... Maybe Jim)


So much for limiting the commentary. You all should know I can't shut up, so I'm sure you didn't expect anything less!
That was our week with the latest family visitors - we're now counting down til Mom, Dad and Heather get here! Luckily, I have a trip to Seattle for work to make the time pass more quickly (YAY! Civilization!!), since I'm really looking forward to the next round of guests!

Everything else is going well up here. We've both been busy with work (in order to be able to take the time off for visitors!), and have been taking advantage of every ounce of sunshine to get outside. I'm still waiting to put short-sleeves on - I was so sure I'd get there this year! - but other than chilly temps, we've had some decent days to enjoy the good part of Kodiak - the summer!

More summertime activity pictures to come in the next few weeks. At the least, I'll share the visit with my side of the family!

2 comments:

Mary said...

Great pictures. Looks like a lot of fun. Hopefully it will warm up a little more soon.

Lisa F said...

Abby is looking at your blog with me and keeps yelling BECCA and FRED every time she sees the pictures! Love all the pictures! We miss you guys!